Gred C = 2.00 adalah tahap cukup makan (lulus sahaja) bagi program ijazah sarjana muda dan diploma. Itulah gred yang diterima oleh UiTM dalam QS Ranking di antara 800 universiti teratas di dunia pada tahun 2013.
Maknanya ia masih berada dalam kelompok 800, tetapi takat cukup makan sahaja...Alahai...
Takkan kita harus berpuas hati dengan ranking yang memalukan ini?
ADA APA-APA TERBAHARU?
Terbaharu, bekas Naib Canselor UiTM Tan Sri Dr Ibrahim Abu Shah bersuara...(dalam The Malaysian Insider).
We heard you Tan Sri. Tapi dia bersuara atas kapasiti apa?
- Mantan Naib-Canselor?
- Ahli MT UMNO?
- Ahli Alumni?
- Seorang Melayu?
- Seorang Islam?
- Seorang bapa?
He is all of the above.
Tan Sri Dr Ibrahim Abu Shah was UiTM’s VC from 2001 to 2009.
NO, he wasn’t a perfect VC. Being an UMNO member, he listened to some UMNO pundits and punks surrounding the PM. Sometimes he went further to polish the PM, such as awarding Rosmah the Honorary Doctorate in Education (Childhood Education) in 2009, for Permata, which has more hoo-haa hoo-haa than its brilliance.
That wasn't his smart move. There were many snipes, snickers and sneers.
In spite of that...at least UiTM was doing well and competitive to local and international university securing a QS Ranking of 601. Good, considering UiTM is a young university, previously churning mostly diplomas. Not so good, if the actual age of the university (since ITM) is taken into consideration.
That was history.
His successor, Tan Sri Dr Sahol Hamid is no better.
Probably now that Tan Sri Dr Ibrahim Abu Shah is standing outside the UiTM gate that he can see more clearly.
UiTM has grown into a university of people who are waiting to be conferred datukship and Tan Sriship, huh???
Indeed. UiTM is rotting from the inside.
One learns from ones' mistake. That's what our ancestors have been saying. In this case, Tan Sri Dr Sahol Hamid should learn from the first Tan Sri's mistakes.
Unfortunately, he has not.
The successor came back with a vengeance. Every senior staff of this huge university knows.
We have so many questions involving integrity and academic standings. All are pertinent and need to be addressed. However, we demand answers to these pressing issues first:
- Has throwing those you do not like out of the Chancellery improve the university? Obviously not. UiTM's ranking plunged like never before.
- Is it right to promote people to be professors without excellent academic researches? Surely not. It just lead people believe that if you rub the management the right way, you get the promotion!
- Is having so many small campuses churning diplomas and degrees that make graduates unemployed at the end of their studies the right way to promote the Bumiputera's self-reliance? “Mengubah Destini Anak Bangsa” is just a rebranding of the old pra-perdagangan and pra-sains programmes. It is a touch of glamour to old system. At least in the old system, it was controlled by the academic community, resulting in better result. The new system has an administrative staff as a CEO who, most of Kedah academic staff asked in bewilderment: “Who?”
- Is it true that lecturers are stressed with huge teaching loads that they have little time for research? We hear of 18 hours per week of teaching loads, excluding jawatan kuasa and other chores, which occupy them over weekends.
DOES ESTABLISHING A JAWATANKUASA WORK?
NO, if it follows the same path as other jawatan kuasa that has been established by the Government to solve problems, which eventually, either sweep wrongs under the carpets, or become a rat who tries to restore a pumpkin (Hahaha tikus membaiki labu lah).
YES, if the jawatan kuasa is willing to think out of the box, think for the future of anak bangsa, not to think of UiTM as a cash cow of contracts and projects!
If Tan Sri is really serious about getting this Jawatan kuasa materialize and workable, then its members should be of responsible, sincere and committed individuals.
Therefore, I humbly suggest to Tan Sri (if you read this posting), that the Jawatan kuasa must accomodate the involvement of the following:
- Alumni - someone who is a self-made businessman.
- Employer - one from private sector and one from the government
- Parent - one from relevant NGO
- NGO - Not from Perkasa please!
- Non-academic staff representative
- Representative of UMNO
- Representative of PAS
- Representative PKR
- Excellent lecturer
- Excellent Student
- Excellent researcher
- Pensioned academic staff
Why do we need a PAS and PKR representatives in the Jawatan kuasa? The answer to this question is simple: 52% of the voters have chosen Pakatan Rakyat. UiTM belongs to the Rakyat.
Rakyat cannot be ignored!
I will be watching you, Tan Sri. I mean, both Tan Sri.